September 2018 AWE monthly update
Welcome to the second monthly AWE (Advancement of Women Entrepreneurs) monthly update.
In this monthly update:
- About AWE
- AWEbassador Focus – Theresa Enright, Wilson College of Textiles
- Programming and Dates
- Website and Media
- News and Announcements – lots of cool stuff!!
- Book Club starts in October – sign up before Wednesday for a free copy of the book!
- Thought for the Month
- AWE supports female entrepreneurship at every stage of the journey through mentorship, community engagement, social networking and strategic skill-building.
- AWE provides a building block towards a more equitable world
- AWE is action-oriented
- AWE is not content-specific
- AWE engages positive female role models
- AWE empowers women with the tools they will need to make a difference
ABOVE ALL – WE WELCOME ANYONE TO OUR MEETINGS – WE AIM TO INCLUDE AND DIVERSIFY
Theresa Enright – Wilson College of Textiles
My name is Theresa Enright and I’m a Fashion and Textile Brand Management student graduating this December. While I’m finishing my degree, I’m working part time doing social media management and retail work. After a long day of classes, you can find me drinking a tall glass of La Croix (any flavor except coconut, which tastes suspiciously similar to a bottle of Hawaiian Tropic sun screen).
AWE is so fortunate to have Theresa on board, taking care of our Instagram and Facebook pages! We will be sorry to see her go at the end of the semester! Come to our events and meet Theresa in person!
Programming and dates
Here is what we have in store for the 2018-2019 Academic Year. We have tried to find topics that appeal to a diversity of student levels and interests. Of course, like any start-up, we may have to be adaptive and change things up occasionally, but we’ll give plenty of advance notice :
|Friday, September 21
|Kickoff Coffee & Informational Chat – at the eGarage on Centennial Campus, 9-10:30 am.
|Friday, October 19
|Zen & The Art of the Startup Life (speaker Reid Miller)
|Friday, November 16
|Money! Why do I need it? And… IP! Why should I care? (speakers Jesse Jones & Amy Parker)
|Friday, December 7
|Movie screening & pizza night (Dream Girl)
|Friday, January 25
|The Power of your Network (TBA)
|Thursday, February 21
|How do I get/become a mentor? (Dr Jennifer Stanigar)
|Friday, March 22
|Creativity & Entrepreneurship (Dr Gary Beckman)
|Friday, April 26
|End of Year Event (TBD)
|Monthly, beg. October
|Book Club, led by Prof. Jenn Capps – “Pure Heart”
Times & locations will vary so we address diversity of scheduling and location, so for more information please use our resources outlined below. All events are FREE!!!!! But you will need to register through “Reporter”, the NC State registration center for non-credit activities.
Website and social media
The main way to access information about AWE, register for events, and find helpful links to other entrepreneurship activities at NC State will be through our website. You can also follow us on social media!
- AWE Website: awe.ncsu.edu
- Facebook: AWE NC State University
- Instagram: @awe.ncstateuniversity
And of course, for all things Entrepreneurial at NC State, visit: https://entrepreneurship.ncsu.edu/
News & Announcements
- TWIn – We are SO proud to be part of the brand new Triangle Women’s Innovation Council, spearheaded by e51. The Council seeks to create a robust and comprehensive Triangle-wide initiative to accelerate the pipeline of female entrepreneurs—a model that can be replicated and expanded throughout the state and beyond. We have five students participating from NC State and look forward to hearing from them and building on their experiences!
- Technician – AWE was featured in the Technician last week!!
- Women’s Entrepreneurship Week – This takes place October 12-20, 2018. We are so fortunate to have Reid Miller of Reid Miller Apparel, speaking on “Zen and the Art of the Startup Life”, October 19th, 7 pm in Duke Energy Hall, Hunt Library on Centennial Campus, to help celebrate this week. It will be AWEsome! See website for registration.
- Ladies who Launch – AWE will be co-sponsoring this event, also during Women’s Entrepreneurship Week. Details will soon be available at https://entrepreneurship.ncsu.edu/
- If you’re a NC State student, and you didn’t get a chance to volunteer for AWE, here is another wonderful opportunity to be the voice of student entrepreneurship at this great university: NC State Entrepreneurship Ambassador Program (nominations due Sept. 14!)
- NC Idea Deadline TODAY!! http://ncidea.org/
Remember to sign up for Book Club by September 12th to get a free copy of the book! Meetings will be held every month starting in October and will be led by the wonderful and talented Professor Jennifer Capps. The book is Pure Heart: A Spirited Tale of Grace, Grit, and Whiskey
By Troylyn Ball.
Thought for the month…
Change your thoughts, and you change your world.
Norman Vincent Peale
Well, enjoy your week, try to stay safe, and hope to see you at our first “official” event on September 21, our Kickoff Coffee and Social Mixer!! We will be spreading the good news about ALL the fabulous academic offerings across campus and giving you the lowdown on the new AWE!!